Ethics and Boundaries in Counseling & Social Work
6.0 continuing education hour of credit (LMHC, LMSW, LCSW)
Description: In this course you will have a thorough explanation of the legal and ethical guidelines to maintain professional boundaries. With ethical case examples given to help better understand what is expected when working with clients. This course will provide a framework to work through ethical dilemmas and make informed decisions that assist professionals with boundary setting while protecting clients from harm.
Upon Completion of this course participants will be able to identify:
- 3-4 common ethical dilemmas and how ethical problems occur.
- 4-5 ethical principles of mental and behavioral health professionals.
- 3-4 limits of confidentiality in an array of contexts including social media, consent, mandated reporting, and HIPAA.
- 1-2 factors relating to informed consent and how it applies to ethics and boundaries.
- 2-3 dynamics of dual relationships and the ethical damages related to sexual relationships with clients.
- 1-2 factors regarding the role of ethical practice involving involuntary treatment.
- 2-3 tips for ethical decision-making and boundary setting including risk tolerance, cultural humility, and some decision-making models.